Sam McCann was born November 4, 1969, in West Hamlin, West Virginia. He graduated from Harts High School in Harts, West Virginia, and attended Lewis & Clark Community College and Blackburn College.
He is the owner and president of McCann Construction in Carlinville. Sam and his wife, Vicki, have a son, Trayton, and a daughter, Katherine.
Senator McCann has served as 49th District Senator since January 2011.
His business organizations include:
- Ten-year member of National, State & Local Association of Home Builders
- Served on the Board of Directors of NAHB & Executive Committee as State Representative.
- 2007 president of the Home Builders Association of Illinois and ten-year Board of Directors member.
- 2004 president of Springfield Area Home Builders Association and Board of Director member.
- Member of Associated Builders and Contractors, and the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- Member of Chambers of Commerce in Hillsboro, Litchfield, Jacksonville and Taylorville.
His community organizations include:
- Served on General Assembly’s Joint Task Force for Indoor Air Quality (“Mold Task Force”) in 2004.
- Served on the Illinois Department of Health, Division of Environmental Health, Advisory Board.
- Helped organize and participated in Habitat for Humanity’s “The House that Congress Built” in Springfield (spearheaded by Congressmen John Shimkus and Ray LaHood).